How Does Dry Shampoo Work?
If you’ve ever been caught in between wash days with visibly oily, greasy hair, you’re not alone. There are so many factors that can cause your hair to become more oily than usual. Maybe you added in an extra workout between washes, or the weather has been particularly hot.
Unfortunately, you won’t always have the time and energy to wash your hair, even if it could use a refresh. That’s where dry shampoo comes in. Dry shampoo works to reduce some of the visible oil on your hair and scalp, helping your hair look fresher, cleaner, and more voluminous, even if you didn’t actually wash it.
At Tabula Rasa Salon in Charleston, SC, our expert stylists can make your dream look a reality. So, if you’re ready for your new look, or need any kind of hair help, book an appointment with us today!
How Does Dry Shampoo Work?
Most dry shampoos are sold as a spray that can be applied directly to your hair, though some come in paste or powder form. Whatever form your dry shampoo takes, it’s meant to be applied to dry hair that hasn’t been recently washed or rinsed.
Dry shampoos can be made with a powder base or alcohol base, and they usually contain multiple active ingredients that soak up oil upon contact. Simply spray or rub your dry shampoo into your hairline area, where the most visible oil will gather.
Brush, comb, or finger the dry shampoo into your hair until it blends in. You should notice a dryer, less oily look to your hair where you applied the product.
When to Use Dry Shampoo
If it’s just a day or two before your next full hair wash and you need a refresher for an event, dry shampoo can be a helpful tool. It’s much quicker and easier than taking the time to shower and wash your hair. However, if you have the time to wash your hair and it’s been a while since your last wash, you may want to reach for the regular shampoo instead.
A great way to get the most out of dry shampoo is to use it before bed, to give it time to work into the hair, or before your workout rather than after it, as the sweat will activate it better. Dry shampoo also makes a great texturizer for the perfect messy bun.
Can Dry Shampoo Hurt Your Hair?
As long as you use your dry shampoo in moderation, it shouldn’t cause any damage to your hair. Moderation could be considered one or two times per week, but your hair may be able to handle more frequency or be unusually sensitive to the ingredients. If you use dry shampoo most days of the week, you may be removing too much oil from your scalp and causing dryness, which could lead to dandruff.
Brands We Approve for Dry Shampoo
The following are brands we work with in our salon that sell dry shampoo for you to try. For a personalized product recommendation, come down to our salon today.
- R+Co Retroactive Dry Shampoo: This translucent dry shampoo instantly refreshes and reboots your style while adding volume. It has a light lavender scent.
- R+Co Skyline Dry Shampoo Powder: This non-aerosol formula is perfect for those on the go as it can be taken on flights. It contains jojoba seed oil to condition and add shine.
- R+Co Death Valley Dry Shampoo: This dry shampoo gives your hair instant volume and body. It contains rice protein to moisturize, vitamin E to strengthen, and silica to absorb oil.
- Alfaparf Milano Semi di Lino Dry Shampoo: This dry shampoo is formulated with flaxseed oil to nourish and protect your hair. It works also as a texturizing spray.
- Oribe Gold Lust Dry Shampoo: This dry shampoo is a favorite among celebrities and stylists. It absorbs oil and impurities while leaving your hair feeling refreshed and smelling great. It even has UV protection.
- Joico Weekend Hair Dry Shampoo: This dry shampoo is a great option for all hair types. It absorbs oil and adds volume without leaving your hair feeling sticky or stiff.
- Redken’s Dry Shampoo: This dry shampoo is formulated to give your hair instant volume and lift. It has a light floral scent.
- Goldwell Dual Senses Dry Shampoo: This dry shampoo is formulated to refresh and revitalize your hair and has a floral smell.
Book Your Next Hair Appointment at Tabula Rasa
There are so many ways to take great care of your hair at home, but there’s nothing like coming to Tabula Rasa to get some help from professionals. Book your appointment today to be one step closer to beautiful, healthy hair.